Text orientation in vertical panels

Andrzej ndrwrdck at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 21 09:22:00 CET 2011

Hi,

Is there any reason labels in the vertical panels are rotated 90 degrees
to the right (rather than to the left as it is common in the western
typography)?

There are also other inconsistencies, for example buttons in the
tasklist or icons in the taskbar are added left->right (which is
bottom->top when you follow the text orientation).

Even more interesting is the layout of workspaces in the wnck pager
which looks like this (6 workspaces in 2 rows):

1 4
2 5
3 6

BTW, this is inconsistent with the panel-buttons, which layouts the
buttons as follows:

1 2
3 4
5 6

I've changed the panel-button behavior to mimic the wnck applet behavior in:

https://github.com/andrzej-r/xfce4-panel/commit/460dac040e62ddbd2f345ada96fd6b7686045ea5

but I'm not entirely sure if the wnck convention is what we want.

Also, in case if we added the deskbar-mode I'm making, should we change
all the labels in the "normal" vertical mode to vertical orientation?
Currently it's all mixed up (some labels are vertical, some e.g. in the
clock or actions menu, horizontal - as in the deskbar mode).

Thanks,

Andrzej