Removal of the location button

David B. Cortarello dcortarello at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 15:42:37 CET 2011

Hello all,
  Mmmmm, adding features just because "the development allows it" is
almost always a wrong decision.
  In the artist point of view, you can paint a picture with a simple,
nice and relaxing blue sky that you can see every day in your living
room; or you can add unicorns, birds, flying dinosaurs, even a monster
that came from the underground or whatever just because you are a good
painter.
  Thunar has a pretty clean and beautiful interface, almost artistic,
and actually Jannis is trying to clean it just a little bit more by
removing this button.
  Some people hasn't even used that button because they though it has
another meaning.

  Adding features because you can will turn out Xfce into KDE 3 (or
trinity), where you have extensive long menus with tons of features
just because they can. Which in the end makes the desktop looks like
an old AmigaOS adding tons of buttons and plugins.

 Regards

On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 10:03 AM, Andrzej <ndrwrdck at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 11/07/2011 08:39 AM, Jannis Pohlmann wrote:
>>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I'm considering to drop the button right next to the location entry in
>> Thunar. Here's a screenshot with this button highlighted in red:
>>

>> http://mocha.xfce.org/~jannis/screenshots/xfce/thunar-location-button-20111107.png
>>
>> This button is supposed to show all volumes and bookmarks (so, whatever
>> is visible in the shortcuts side pane as well). Does anyone care deeply
>> about it or can I remove it without hurting the efficiency of anyone's
>> workflow?
>
> Not at all. I didn't even realized it was there.
>
> Another alternative would be to make it display recently or most often
> browsed directories - that's what Firefox does. This could actually be a
> useful feature.
>
> Also, perhaps I should file a bug(?) for it, I found that in "View/Location
> Selector" menu checkboxes are swapped. That is, when "Pathbar Style" is
> selected a toolbar is shown, and vice versa. Perhaps it is better to use
> here mutually exclusive radiobuttons anyway.
>
> Andrzej

David B. Cortarello
Weblog: http://nomius.blogspot.com
Kwort Linux: http://www.kwort.org