Mouse and touchpad settings dialog layout

Nick Schermer nickschermer at gmail.com
Wed May 25 07:44:54 CEST 2011

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 12:23 AM, Guido Berhoerster <gber at opensuse.org> wrote:
> * Nick Schermer <nickschermer at gmail.com> [2011-05-24 23:41]:
>> The nick/pointers branch is now functional. The wacom stylus settings
>> are not there yet, need to figure those out first, but the synaptics
>> tap/scroll and wacom rotation/mode are ready.
>
> Are you not abstracting those settings, will e.g. adding support
> for a different touchpad model require adding a new tab and
> collection of xfsettings?

Well there are not a lot more drivers and yes, the settings in
xfce4-mouse-settings are driver-specific. However xfsettingsd supports
code for general device property storing (like xinput), so no changes
need to be made there.
That means it is also possible to set new properties with
xfconf-query, but in the dialog there is some driver specific code to
check for synaptic and wacom capabilities.

That said, I'd be glad to support other touchpad/tablet/? drivers too,
but I doubt there are a lot of those out there (mainstream)? Another
option is a tool that allows to edit all properties for each device
(and store then in the correct channel so xfsettingsd restores them on
login).

Nick