reduce icons in icon chooser dialog

Stephan Arts stephan at xfce.org
Sun Mar 27 19:37:55 CEST 2011

On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 4:38 PM, Nick Schermer <nickschermer at gmail.com> wrote:
> Bump
>
> On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 8:27 PM, Nick Schermer <nickschermer at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Folks,
>>
>> I've just pushed a branch to exo that excludes the 'symlink' icons in
>> a theme from the icon view. On the common themes (Gnome,Tango) this
>> reduces the number of icons with ~50% (ie. 50% of the icons are
>> symlinks to real files) and you only see each image once. The symlink
>> names are stored internally, so when you open the chooser for a
>> desktop files with "xfce4-settings" as icon name,
>> "preferences-desktop" is selected.
>>
>> Downside of this is that "preferences-desktop" is returned when you
>> click ok and xfce4-settings is lost (I could fix that behaviour, but
>> you get the point; spec names are set in those cases).
>>
>> Upside, less icons to scroll, and probably (no proof here) much
>> faster; because even though the code pokes the files to check if they
>> are symlinks, nothing is worse for performance then rendering images.
>>
>> If you want to try it, compile the nick/icon-model-without-dups
>> branch. It will also print you a line what was merged.
>>
>> So, any opinions if this is a good idea?
>>
>> Nick

Hi Nick,

Sounds like a good plan, I see no down-side to this approach. The file
needs to be poked one way or another, at least this way you save on
memory-allocations and rendering-times. - That it cleans up the UI is
just another advantage.

Regards,
Stephan

--
"The number of Unix installations has grown to 10, with more expected."
-- The Unix Programmer's Manual, 2nd Edition, June, 1972