Rename Terminal to xfce4-terminal

Yves-Alexis Perez corsac at debian.org
Wed Jun 22 08:55:39 CEST 2011

On mer., 2011-06-22 at 08:43 +0200, Nick Schermer wrote:
> Folks,
>
> In Fedora it was suggested to rename the Name key from Terminal to
> "Xfce Terminal". I agree with this change since its not easy to
> distinguish terminals in the menu (the exo preferred one and the
> normal terminal as a start).

Funny since it seems the trend nowadays is to put generic names in
desktop files.

> However the terminal name is also a bit unfortunate and I'm
> considering to rename the whole thing to xfce4-terminal. The old
> project is dead for a long time now and some distros already rename it
> (using --program-transform-name).

Yeah, we do that since there's another “Terminal” program (Terminal.app
from GNUstep).

> To do that properly not only a hand full of changes in the code is
> required, the package needs to be renamed as well (new download
> location, new package names in distros, changed git location.. etc).
>
> Do other think this is worth the effort? And can distros provide a
> clean migration path for this?

We (Debian and derivatives) have already taken the lead on that, so it'd
clearly ease the path for us (though we still have some filenames named
Terminal). For consistency I'd say go for it, though other distro pov is
really important in that case.

Regards,
--
Yves-Alexis