XFCE design SIG

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Thu Jun 2 14:38:57 CEST 2011

On Thu, 02 Jun 2011 16:45:49 +0530
Charles <xfce at catcons.co.uk> wrote:

> Hello :-)
>
> Two Thunar suggestions.
>
> Firstly about directory symlinks.  When one is opened in Thunar, the
> displayed path is for the symlink.  AFor example, if user c has a
> /home/c/Templates symlink to /home/c/d/Templates, when the user
> clicks on /home/c/Templates, Thunar displays /home/c/Templatesboth by
> the clickable directory buttons and in the Ctrl+L window.  It would
> be nice to be able to configure Thunar to instead display the actual
> path (/home/c/d/Templates) or have a GUI button to change mode.  This
> is equivalent to the difference between what bash displays using pwd
> and using pwd with the -P option.
>
> Secondly, it would be nice if the file and directory Properties
> window width could be configured or maybe the window could adapt to
> the file or directory name length (up to a sane/configurable maximum).

Please note that the design group is not something to randomly throw
ideas at. If you have a regular feature request (like your ideas surely
are), you can file enhancement requests on bugzilla.xfce.org.

The design SIG is a place where people with UI improvement ideas
propose their ideas for discussion, along with mockups and other
information. It is intended as a place where designers and
interested users propose changes in the UI and discuss and work on
them in close collaboration with established Xfce hackers and users
interested in contributing the code necessary to make the changes
happen.

Again, the changes you are proposing are regular feature request. BTW,
we already show the target location of links in the status bar and the
file properties dialog and as far as I am concerned that is enough.
Also, the file properties dialog uses a form entry to display the name
of the file/directory. If you cannot fit your file/directory names into
a 350px wide entry field you might have to reconsider if those names
are suited for display on a limited-size screen at all. ;)

  - Jannis