Clean up default theme and wallpaper collection

Jon Sturm jonimoose at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 02:23:39 CEST 2011

On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 12:19 AM, Auke Kok <auke at foo-projects.org> wrote:
> On 06/23/2011 02:56 AM, Pasi Lallinaho wrote:
>>
>> On 06/23/2011 09:40 AM, Nick Schermer wrote:

>>> Finish one thing before starting the other? I don't know, up to
>>> Jannis. I think we still need some deeper thoughts how to integrate
>>> this in thunar before focusing on the looks, although the discussion
>>> can already be started.
>>
>> I added this on the proposed projects.

>>> I agree. I never use the Xfce themes as well, in fact, the whole thing
>>> will get better when we switch to gtk3, but that not on the target
>>> list of 4.10, so we need a "decent" mid solution for 4.10, without
>>> putting new stuff in the Xfce core packages.
>>
>> I hope it will get better. Anyway, whatever comes around, I'm sure we'll
>> support GTK3 as soon as possible with the Shimmer themes, so the
>> solution doesn't need to look completely temporary for the users, since
>> they'll see the same themes even when GTK3 jumps in.

>>> Well a possibility is to make shimmer-releases on xfce.org (dig up
>>> xfce4-themes?) and make an advise to distros to include this package
>>> in the xfce-group of their distro (and that package will depend on
>>> murrine). That's more or less the same as we do now with the
>>> gtk-xfce-engine, but that includes both themes and the engine.
>>
>> That sounds fine. Distro packagers, how does this sound for you?
>
> uhh, add some newlines in here, lol, this is becoming unreadable :)
>
> For both distro's I work with: please consider sticking to one default
> theme. More choice for the user, fine. More choice for the packager: no fun,
> now you make me choose :/

I have to agree here, the themes package is nice, and maybe a murrine
based theme package could be shipable, but I personally loved the 4.8
default theme and still use it. I may have changed by gtk theme a bit
but overall its great. I think sticking to a sane default without
bringing in extra dependancies.

On option would be to make a theme editor/designer such as what is
available with gnome, again as an optional package but it would be
nice to allow users to tweak things as they like with more ease.

Just keep the packager and maintainer in mind, the simpler their job
is the more they can focus on making their respective distro's users
happy with their choice of xfce.