"keep in launcher" for xfce4-panel window list

Elias Gabriel Amaral da Silva tolkiendili at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 04:48:11 CEST 2011

Hello,

There is a feature of Unity to pin applications on the window list, so
that it turns its button into a launcher if it is not running (
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/natty/launcher , "Right click running
applications to pin them to the launcher").

This feature is also present on Windows 7 and Mac OS X.

It is usually conflated with "one taskbar button per application",
instead of per window. Then alt+tab cycles between applications. (For
this setup to be really usable, then, alt+<key above tab> would cycle
between windows of the same application, like macs)

Anyway I want the former without the latter (at least for now): that
is, just turning a xfce4-panel's window list button into a launcher if
my app is not running.

(Actually I could just use Unity and save myself from the hassle, but
it is not usable right now without that alt+<key above tab>. Also it
is really slow here.. also xfce rocks)

Is there any plans to do it? If done, would it be merged?

 I never touched xfce code before, but I'm thinking in implementing
this. I git cloned git://git.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-panel. I see the
window list is at plugins/tasklist

I'm looking into how unity implements this. It seems that it doesn't
just check the binary being run and re-run it. (I think it is because
of apps that has shell script wrappers like firefox and scilab). It
seems to look for a .desktop which I'm unsure how to locate. Maybe I
can reuse unity code?

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding this?