Questions on Xfce4.8 installation

Navaneeth.K.N navaneethkn at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 13:36:58 CET 2011

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 12:42 AM, Goffredo Baroncelli
<kreijack at inwind.it> wrote:
> On 01/20/2011 10:46 AM, Navaneeth.K.N wrote:
>>> I did so. But the installation start to worked well, when I configured
>>> dbus to read the right xfce configuration file (initially it read the
>>> 4.6 ones).
>>> Let me know if you need more info.
>>>>

>> Thanks. I got all the components compiled successfully. But I am not
>> sure how to start the new version. "startxfce4" script still loads the
>> old version as the new one is installed in a non-standard directory.
>> How can I tell the GDM or "startxfce4" script to load from the 4.8
>> directory? I am on Fedora.
>>

> I have debian, but I hope that these information will be useful.
> To start a new xfce installation from gdm, I performed the following
> three steps:
>
> 1) inform GDM about the new xfce
>
> the sessions available in GDM are in
>
>        /usr/share/xsessions
>
> where there are the ".desktop" file. I copied  the standard xfce.desktop
> in xfce-dev.desktop, and updated the "Exec" and "name" fields.
> The Exec field was set to a bash script which prepare the environment to
> execute xfce
>
> 2) setup the environment
> I created a file named "mystartxfce4.sh" which sets some environment
> variable and execute the startxfce script
>
> $ cat mystartxfce4.sh
>
> export xfce4root="/home/ghigo/xfce4/root"
>
> export PKG_CONFIG_PATH="${xfce4root}/lib/pkgconfig:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH"
> export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="${xfce4root}/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH"
> export PATH="${xfce4root}/bin:$PATH"
> export
> GLADE_CATALOG_PATH="${xfce4root}/share/glade3/catalogs:$GLADE_CATALOG_PATH"
> export
> GLADE_MODULE_PATH="${xfce4root}/lib/glade3/modules:$GLADE_MODULE_PATH"
> export
> GLADE_PIXMAP_PATH="${xfce4root}/share/glade3/pixmaps:$GLADE_PIXMAP_PATH"
> export
> LIBGLADE_MODULE_PATH="${xfce4root}/usr/lib/libglade/2.0:$LIBGLADE_MODULE_PATH"
> export XDG_CONFIG_DIRS="$xfce4root/etc/xdg:$XDG_DATA_DIRS"
>
> exec "$xfce4root/bin/startxfce4"
>
> $
>
> pay attention to set xfce4root variable to the place where xfce was
> installed.
>
> 3) setup dbus
> This step was the most tricky. I prepared a file named
>
> xfce-dev.conf
>
> which was put in
>
> /etc/dbus-1/session.d
>
> This file contains
>
> $ cat /etc/dbus-1/session.d/xfce-dev.conf
>
> <!DOCTYPE busconfig PUBLIC "-//freedesktop//DTD D-BUS Bus Configuration
> 1.0//EN"
>  "http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/dbus/1.0/busconfig.dtd">
> <busconfig>
>        <servicedir>/home/ghigo/xfce4/root/share/dbus-1/services</servicedir>
> </busconfig>
> $
>
> pay attention to replace "/home/ghigo/xfce4/root/" with the root of the
> xfce installation.

Thanks a lot. This all worked well. But the setup is not completed
yet. I can see the 4.8 version loaded but clicking on folders from the
desktop is not working. It fails with the message,

"Method "DisplayFolder" with signature "sss" on interface
"org.xfce.FileManager" doesn't exist"

any idea to fix this?

--
-n