testing panel plugins

Florian Rivoal frivoal at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 15:57:34 CET 2011

On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 08:21:00 +0900, Nick Schermer <nickschermer at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 7:05 PM, Mike Massonnet <mmassonnet at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>>
>>> I guess that they appear in the Panel / Add new item menu?
>>
>> I re-read the directory name...
>>
>> Right! So yeah, if it ain't working you can file a bug IMO :)
>
> Not a bug, of at least if was left out on purpose. The reason was
> operating system that have 32 and 64 bit libs/apps on 1 system. They
> cannot be mixed, but were detected by the panel. /lib and /share are
> hardcoded during compile time (also the X-XFCE-Module-Path thingy
> became unneeded), so easy to lookup, in ~/.local this is not the case
> and could results in crashes is 64/32 are mixed.

I see. In my case, for plugin development, I can just put the .desktop
files under /usr/share.... mildly inconvenient, but nothing severe. On the
other hand, it makes it completely impossible for people who do not have
root access to install and use plugins under their account only.

I wonder if it would be possible to find a way to let people have plugins
and .desktop files under their account, while avoiding the 32/64 bit
compatibility issues you mentioned.

  - Florian