thunar-volman and gudev

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Wed Jan 12 14:18:45 CET 2011

On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 10:19:16 +0100
Oliver Lehmann <lehmann at ans-netz.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm preparing xfce 4.8 ports for FreeBSD and I'm also bringing the
> other not directly bundled apps to their latest version to get as
> much 4.8 supporting apps as possible.
>
> I also tried this with thunar-volman and found out, that 0.5.3 (in
> my case) now wants gudev to be installed on the System.
> There is no gudev implementation for FreeBSD - so - does that mean,
> thunar-volman will no longer work on FreeBSD or is there a way to
> disable the gudev requirement? I found no switch in configure for
> disabling it so I guess the answer will be "No, thunar-volman will
> only run on Linux and this is intended"?!

Yes, this assumption is correct. Let me express however that I'm not
happy with this situation myself. The replacement of HAL by udev,
upower and udisks has been somewhat forced on us and unfortunately, at
least udev is incompatible with *BSD.

I have no knowledge about hotplugging and how to query device
information on different BSD flavors, so updating thunar-volman to use
gudev was the best I could do.

  - Jannis