Share xfce4-session and xfce4-power-manager code

Nick Schermer nickschermer at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 10:40:49 CET 2011

On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 10:04 AM, Ali Abdallah <aliov at xfce.org> wrote:
> On 02/20/2011 10:25 PM, Joshua Saddler wrote:
>>
>> I really don't like the idea of forcing people to install xfpm.
>
> You don't really have to use xfpm, xfpm will provide a session service that
> will be used ondemand by the session, if you want you can just delete
> xfce4-power-manager.desktop from /etc/xdg/autostart/ or you can just delete
> everything except the
> service binary with its data.
>
> I migth provide a compile time flag that compiles only the service to make
> you happy, but this depends if the core dev agree on that or not.

I'm against that. It will only make things complicated for nothing. If
the service only loads the objects if they apply (status icon, dpms
etc) and quits after a while if the user only 'queried' the shutdown
permissions (ie. there is a difference if Xfpm was started from
desktop file or as service), there are no reasons for extra compile
options.

Nick