Share xfce4-session and xfce4-power-manager code

Joshua Saddler nightmorph at gentoo.org
Sun Feb 20 22:25:45 CET 2011

On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 11:43:47 +0100
Nick Schermer <nickschermer at gmail.com> wrote:

> There is a lot of consolekit/polkit code duplicated in
> xfce4-power-manager/xfce4-session. The code in xfce4-session is
> also a bit of a mess since everything is in 1 file,
> xfce4-power-manager seems to be more ordered in this aspect. To
> resolve this there are a couple of possible solutions:
>
> 1) Remove all shutdown/suspend handling from xfce4-session and use
> xfce4-power-manager for this (it can act as a dbus service).
> 2) Share code in a library. It pulls too many individual modules, so
> this will most likely end up in xfce4-session or
> xfce4-power-manager.
>     - Lib in xfce4-power-manager: most move to core.
>     - Lib in xfce4-session: ugly dep for xfce4-power-manager.

I really don't like the idea of forcing people to install xfpm. I've
never had to use it or install it on my desktops. DPMS and
shutdown/restart are really the only things my desktop needs.
Suspend/hibernate aren't necessary, though they work as-is. Those
all work out-of-the-box without xfpm. Having to compile and install an
unnecessary package + supporting libs is not desirable for
source-based distros.

I'm in favor of whatever keeps the current functionality without
requiring xfpm.