Share xfce4-session and xfce4-power-manager code

Nick Schermer nickschermer at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 16:54:09 CET 2011

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 2:55 PM, Ali Abdallah <aliov at xfce.org> wrote:
> On 02/16/2011 09:10 AM, Nick Schermer wrote:

>>> Fallback to sudo just for reboot/shutdown, no sudo suspend/hibernate
>>> methods
>>> are supported, do we plan to support these options via sudo ?
>>
>> No no suspend/hibernate; but the goal it that it will continue to work
>> with openbsd and other systems that have no support for Xfpm (and can
>> thus ship without it).

>>> Sounds good, but people will have to install xfpm always with Xfce right
>>> ?
>>> In this case, is this to add for the 4.10 release cycle ?
>>
>> If they want support for power actions with upower/pol/console-kit;
>> then yes. And indeed, Xfpm will be part of the 4.10 cycle.

>>> Okay, by the way, do we have a unique like functionality somewhere in
>>> xfce
>>> or glib/gtk ? i have something like that in xfpm, which acts more or less
>>> like libunique.
>>
>> No, we don't.; GtkApplication appeared in gtk3 IIRC.

>>> Okay, but this more or less means that we have to add new depenencies to
>>> Xfce right ? since the session will use the service provided by xfpm
>>> which
>>> depends on those.
>>
>> Like I said, Xfpm has to move to core; which means git repo moves to
>> /xfce/ and we ship it with the release tarball. You can still do your
>> own releases of course.
>
> Ok cool, i'll release the version that i'm currently preparing, after that
> i'll be working to have a separate dbus session service (part of xfpm) that
> can be used by xfpm and xfce4-session.

If Jannis and Jerome agree with this change to include Xfpm in core
and move all the upower/consolekit related code to Xfpm only.

If you are going to work on that, could you write that down in the
wiki first? Then we can agree on the dependencies and shoot a bit on
the changes required for a flawless switch from xfce4-session && Xfpm.

@Ali, I've created a page there and your aliov account has developer
permissions:
http://wiki.xfce.org/releng/4.10/roadmap/xfce4-power-manager

> For upower and polkit, is these are going to be Xfce dependencies ? for the
> moment i'm not using them in xfpm, but maybe as you said we should think
> about using them instead of supporting lot of dbus-glib code...

Yes, I have no problems with that as long the dependency is ONLY in
Xfpm. Then xfce4-session (with sudo only) will work fine on
non-polkit/upower systems and has no complex power-related code
anymore.

Nick