Share xfce4-session and xfce4-power-manager code

Landry Breuil landry.breuil at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 09:51:51 CET 2011

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 9:10 AM, Nick Schermer <nickschermer at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 8:11 AM, Ali Abdallah <aliov at xfce.org> wrote:
>> On 02/15/2011 04:04 PM, Nick Schermer wrote:
>>>
>>> So IMHO
>>> the best solution would be:
>>>
>>> xfce4-session:
>>> - Use org.xfce.Power.Manager
>>> - Fallback to sudo if service failed (no permission) or is not
>>> available (openbsd and people who haven't installed Xfpm).
>>
>> Fallback to sudo just for reboot/shutdown, no sudo suspend/hibernate methods
>> are supported, do we plan to support these options via sudo ?
>
> No no suspend/hibernate; but the goal it that it will continue to work
> with openbsd and other systems that have no support for Xfpm (and can
> thus ship without it).

I've considered implementing the missing suspend/hibernate
options for the sudo backend since a long time, that'll be the perfect occasion.

>>>   - Possibly also quit if it has nothing to do.
>>
>> Okay, by the way, do we have a unique like functionality somewhere in xfce
>> or glib/gtk ? i have something like that in xfpm, which acts more or less
>> like libunique.
>
> No, we don't.; GtkApplication appeared in gtk3 IIRC.

libunique is pretty self-contained, only depends on
gtk/glib/dbus-glib, and a very small library.
Maybe it can be blessed as a 'regular dependency' of the core ?

Landry