Share xfce4-session and xfce4-power-manager code

Ali Abdallah aliov at xfce.org
Wed Feb 16 08:11:40 CET 2011

On 02/15/2011 04:04 PM, Nick Schermer wrote:
> So IMHO
> the best solution would be:
>
> xfce4-session:
> - Use org.xfce.Power.Manager
> - Fallback to sudo if service failed (no permission) or is not
> available (openbsd and people who haven't installed Xfpm).

Fallback to sudo just for reboot/shutdown, no sudo suspend/hibernate
methods are supported, do we plan to support these options via sudo ?
> Xfpm:
> - Xfpm needs to extend org.xfce.Power.Manager with some of the methods
> from org.freedesktop.PowerManagement (with error replies, so we can
> give good feedback if also sudo failed, somthing that is lacking atm).
> - It should be a dbus-service as well, this way it never fails (from
> xfce4-session's point of view).
Sounds good, but people will have to install xfpm always with Xfce right ?
In this case, is this to add for the 4.10 release cycle ?

> In case we rely more on Xfpm it should also be improved in a couple of
> other areas I think:
>    - Possibly also quit if it has nothing to do.
Okay, by the way, do we have a unique like functionality somewhere in
xfce or glib/gtk ? i have something like that in xfpm, which acts more
or less like libunique.

>    - Consider using more library api (libupower, polkit); probably
> easier to maintain in the future, not to mention easier to understand.

Okay, but this more or less means that we have to add new depenencies to
Xfce right ? since the session will use the service provided by xfpm
which depends on those.

> Nick
Ali