#xfce-dev IRC channel

Russell Dickenson russelldickenson at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 00:45:22 CET 2011

On 10 February 2011 09:24, Jannis Pohlmann <jannis at xfce.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 00:21:23 +0100
> Yves-Alexis Perez <corsac at debian.org> wrote:
>
>> On mer., 2011-02-09 at 23:10 +0100, Jérôme Guelfucci wrote:
>> > I would like to start a discussion about invite-only in the IRC
>> > #xfce-dev channel and admin permissions.
>> >
>> Afaict it's not invite-only but only voiced people can talk. Did I
>> miss something?
>
> No, you're right. So that voice thing is what we'd like to see go away.
>
>  - Jannis

>From my (limited) experience, voice-only is used in projects where the
development team want to ensure they have a channel in which they can
communicate efficiently and avoid more general discussion. It's
perhaps a little frustrating for non-developers but at least having
read-only access to the channel allows them to see (?) discussion as
it occurs. If the Xfce development team want to change this so that
everyone has a voice, I'm sure that would be welcomed by many in the
community. As has been suggested, perhaps having set rules which apply
to the IRC channel would be a good idea.

On a side note, are all Xfce-related IRC channels logged?

--
Russell