introduction, gtk 2.22 porting, code (I don't use the majority of the extra panel plugins that live in their own , for instance, so I'm not going to port those myself)submission preferences

Jon Sturm jonimoose at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 06:33:32 CEST 2011

On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 1:56 PM, Sean Middleditch <sean at middleditch.us> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 10:54 AM, Jannis Pohlmann <jannis at xfce.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hey,
>>
>> On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 10:36:03 -0800
>> Sean Middleditch <sean at middleditch.us> wrote:
>>
>> > Sounds like this probably isn't the right desktop project for me to
>> > dig into then.  I'm just not interested in working on older base tech
>> > or on what I personally believe to be poor UI, and it sounds like the
>> > XFCE team's priorities and mine are simply not inline, making me a
>> > bad fit for this project.  I'll post what I have in Bugzilla after
>> > classes today so you guys have it available if you decide you want it.
>>
>> Just because we decided against porting Xfce to GTK+ 3 in the 4.10
>> cycle doesn't mean we have to stick to "poor UI" as you phrase it.
>> There is always room for improvement on the UI side and with most of
>> these improvements there is not much of a difference between GTK+ 2
>> and GTK+ 3 (if at all).
>
> I didn't mean to offend.  What "I personally believe to be" (and which
> you're free to disagree with) poor UI includes things like the separator
> panel plugin, or the 5 different styles of clocks.  I'm pretty minimalist.
>  :)
> I may still go ahead and implement the XRandR dialog anyway, because I
> really really really really need that to work better than the current one.
>  Literally, I have to go into xfsettings or use the command line to make my
> second monitor work again after I unplug it.  And that's after the bug I
> already hackily-fixed that caused unplugging it to create an invalid xrandr
> config that included a large dead region of desktop space and made xfdestkop
> horribly misrender the desktop and then eventually crash itself (and then
> bring down the X server with it half the time... sigh).

I was actually just working on a patch to add position settings to the
Display dialog. I have a very basic patch that allows for setting any
position you want but it update every chance which makes it rather
cumbersome to use. My vote was to add an apply button, so that one can
make all the needed changes without having to wait for the Xorg driver
to do its stuff between each setting update. The other issue is it
currently doesn't really show where those position settings will
actually put the monitor but that would require much more overhaul of
the dialog to take that into account.

My currently incomplete patch can be found at
http://jonimoose.net/xfce4/0001-xfce4-settings-add-position-to-display-settings.patch

I'd love to work with you on fixing it up, just get a git repo setup
somewhere and I'll base my changes off of that.

Jon