[Xfce4-commits] <xfce4-session:master> Reuse existing ConsoleKit sessions (bug #6685).

Mike Massonnet mmassonnet at gmail.com
Thu Sep 9 00:10:16 CEST 2010

2010/9/8 Yves-Alexis Perez <corsac at debian.org>:
> On 08/09/2010 22:06, Mike Massonnet wrote:
>
>>> Now, with the change above, I can't do any of these things.
>>> xfce4-session-logout only offers Logout, reboot and halt are disabled.
>>> Also mounting my USB stick doesn't work with this change.
>>>
>>> I don't use any display manager, just plain console login as in good
>>> old days.
>>
>> I can second that. Now i can see only one CK session, so the patch
>> works as intended. But I'm not able to shutdown/reboot or mount with
>> gvfs-mount and this if I log in through a tty using startxfce4.
>>
>> I don't see why I have to use startx or add polkit configuration
>> files, really startxfce4 should just work<tm>!
>
> Because you're just reinventing the wheel.

Well, startxfce4 used to work, it can keep doing this.

Plus Xsession.d/xinitrc.d directories are distro specific AFAICT.

>> [1] NB: when using the pam_ck_connector plugin I have automatically an
>> XDG_SESSION_COOKIE variable set and a ck-session open (seen with
>> ck-list-sessions) but when reusing this session nothing was working
>> inside X, perhaps it has to do that the info for x11-display was empty
>> as displayed by ck-l-s...
>>
> I don't know on other distros, I have to admit. But the exact same
> problems arise when ConsoleKit was introduced in Debian, and fixes were
> already provided for the CK startup scripts (where the fixes really
> belong imho).
>
> See http://molly.corsac.net/~corsac/90consolekit if you don't have it on
> ArchLinux.

Nice reading, I was interested in this file and the script shows that
it ignores the CK session opened within a tty.

The other question is, why is the session opened by xfce4-session not
working when one logs in through a tty? Unless we can't figure this,
the hack to spawn ck-l-s from the xinitrc script is an almost decent
solution.

--
Mike