[Xfce4-commits] <xfce4-session:master> Reuse existing ConsoleKit sessions (bug #6685).

Enrico Tröger enrico at xfce.org
Wed Sep 8 12:54:43 CEST 2010

On Wed,  8 Sep 2010 10:08:01 +0000 (UTC), Jannis wrote:

>Updating branch refs/heads/master
>         to 35c620aa3749581580e0917ff7c2db1c223564a8 (commit)
>       from 2e4be9da0575c4fd76e6b50c7e75f7eb7a56ef45 (commit)
>
>commit 35c620aa3749581580e0917ff7c2db1c223564a8
>Author: Jannis Pohlmann <jannis at xfce.org>
>Date:   Wed Sep 8 12:02:46 2010 +0200
>
>    Reuse existing ConsoleKit sessions (bug #6685).
>
>    According to the ConsoleKit documentation, only one session leader
> may exist for a session. An application becomes the leader of a
> session by calling org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Manager.OpenSession()
> which returns a session identifier. This identifier is then made
> available to other session clients by setting the XDG_SESSION_COOKIE
> environment variable.
>    GDM and upstart open ConsoleKit sessions on their own and desktop
>    environments are supposed to reuse these sessions instead of
> opening new ones. So with this commit, xfce4-session checks for
> XDG_SESSION_COOKIE and, if it exists, does not try to call
> OpenSession in order to overwrite this environment variable.
>
>    I tested this with xfce4-session-logout which finally allows me to
>    reboot and shutdown again.

This and the related commit in xfce-utils broke it again for me.
After I changed the ck-l-s command in $prefix/etc/xdg/xfce4/xinitrc as
Mike suggested yesterday on the Xfce users list, it worked fine. I
could reboot/halt my system and also mount devices (USB stick) in my
case.

Now, with the change above, I can't do any of these things.
xfce4-session-logout only offers Logout, reboot and halt are disabled.
Also mounting my USB stick doesn't work with this change.

I don't use any display manager, just plain console login as in good
old days.

I see that the above change seems more correct but it just doesn't work
(here).

At session startup, I also get the following messages in
~/.xsession-errors. Though not sure whether they are related:

(polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1:1978): GLib-GObject-WARNING **:
cannot register existing type `_PolkitError'

(polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1:1978): GLib-CRITICAL **:
g_once_init_leave: assertion `initialization_value != 0' failed

Has anyone else similar problems or is just me?

Btw, all this happens on Debian Testing.

Regards,
Enrico