Problems with PKG_CONFIG_PATH while compiling Xfce 4.7

Nick Schermer nickschermer at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 23:40:28 CEST 2010

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 11:19 PM, Robert V. Bolton
<robert at robertvbolton.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to compile the various components of Xfce 4.7 and thus far have
> cloned the following Git repositories: xfce4-dev-tools, libxfce4util, xfconf
> thus far. While compiling xfconf I get the following error:
>
> *** The required package dbus-1 was not found on your system.
> *** Please install dbus-1 (atleast version 1.0.0) or adjust
> *** the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
> *** installed the package in a nonstandard prefix so that
> *** pkg-config is able to find it.
>
> I also received that same error for libxfce4util but was about to add
> /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig to PKG_CONFIG_PATH, but I can't seem to find
> correct path needed to add dbus. I have dbus-1.2.24 installed on my machine,
> but can find the correct location for it. How should I setup my
> PKG_CONFIG_PATH variable on my Fedora 13 x86_64 machine if I'm planning on
> installing Xfce 4.7 in /usr/local ?

Look for the file dus-1.pc on your system and append the directory to
$PKG_CONFIG_PATH, maybe the dbus-devel package is not installed yet.

You can simply add "export
PKG_CONFIG_PATH="$PKG_CONFIG_PATH:/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig" in
~/.bashrc if you plan to compile from the terminal, else you need to
setup a file in /etc/profile.d/.

We also make regular development releases, which you can find here :
archive.xfce.org.

Nick