Xfce Foundation status

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Sun Oct 17 16:48:54 CEST 2010

On Sun, 17 Oct 2010 15:06:19 +0200
Jérôme Guelfucci <jeromeg at xfce.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 10:57 AM, Jannis Pohlmann <jannis at xfce.org
> <mailto:jannis at xfce.org>> wrote:
>
>     So, I'm summing up below:
>
>     On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 20:42:22 +0200
>     Jannis Pohlmann <jannis at xfce.org <mailto:jannis at xfce.org>> wrote:
>
>      > The draft is not finished yet but I have a few questions for
>      > you anyway (please read KDE's articles of association first):
>      >
>      >   * Do you think all this makes sense?
>
>     Consensus seems to be: yes, this makes a lot of sense. Which in
> turn makes me happy of course. :)
>
>      >   * Does a German e.V. (which is a non-profit organization
>      > registered in Germany) sound like a reasonable type of
>      > organization for
>     Xfce?
>
>     Everyone seems fine with a German e.V. as long as there will
> always be someone to take care of the paperwork. There are a lot of
> German Xfce users who I know personally and there have always been a
> few German people deeply involved in Xfce as long as I've been
> around. So I guess a non-profit organization under German law should
> be fine.
>
>      >   * Would you prefer "Xfce e.V." or "Xfce Foundation e.V." to
>      > be the name of the organization?
>
>     A few concerns have been raised about the "Foundation" vs.
>     "Association" issue. The majority, however, has expressed "Xfce
>     Foundation e.V." to be their favorite name. So be it then.
>
>      >   * For how many years do you think the board should be
>      > elected? 3, 2 or 1?
>
>     Some have said 3 for stability reasons, the consensus is that 1
> year is too short (the main reason being our rather long release
> cycles in the past). I think 2 years is a good compromise, so let's
> say 2.
>
>      >   * There is one clause about where the raised money should go
>      > in
>     case
>      >     the e.V. is abandoned. The KDE people have decided to
>      > forward all their money to UNESCO. I have come up with a few
>      > alternatives. Which of the following organizations would you
>      > prefer the
>     money to
>      >     be handed over to in case the e.V. is closed?
>      >
>      >       UNESCO, Amnesty International, Greenpeace, WWF or OLPC?
>      >
>      >     You can of course make your own suggestions if you want to.
>
>     The majority has made a different suggestion: the Free Software
>     Foundation. Thematically, this makes a lot of sense. It's a signal
>     that, even if Xfce should ever disappear, our efforts still will
> be aimed at supporting the free software ecosystem.
>
>     I've updated the corresponding paragraphs in the document. I've
> also removed the clause that the FSF would have to contact the German
>     finance office before any use of our money. I think that's not
>     necessary and we should rather trust the FSF in that they will put
>     our money to good use.

> [...]

Yes, my thoughts exactly. My plan is to

  1. register the e.V. with a temporary board of directors
  2. approve membership for a number of people from Xfce
  3. announce new board elections
  4. have a few Xfce people run for the board of directors
  5. dismiss the temporary board, replace it with people from Xfce

And I think that will be easily possible without waiting for 2 years. ;)

  - Jannis