Xfce Foundation status

Hungerburg pch13 at myzel.net
Sun Oct 17 13:38:42 CEST 2010

Am 2010-10-17 00:04, schrieb Jannis Pohlmann:

> Yes, copyright assignment is something that we will discuss in the
> future. However, it's an independent issue as it is not required to
> be included in the articles of association.

I am not a lawyer (just an xfce user with a general interest in the
issues raised): I have the firm conviction, that copyright assignment is
not possible in Germany and most other european jurisdictions, the way
this can be done in the US. The "Urheberrecht" is unalienable.

Authors may however enter into contracts with the foundation, and
authorize the foundation to utilize, read *defend* their rights, as eg.
the GEMA collecting society members do.

If you want to engage in that, as it creates foundation assets, more
liabilities against (non-) members, its something the statutes *should*
advertise, both a goal and a means of reaching its goals.

Remember, statutes are a binding statement of the people associated, on
what they want to achieve and how, on which rules they want to subject
themselves to, etc. They should spell out the mind of the members.

Happy sunday!

--
peter