question about accessibility

Nick Schermer nickschermer at gmail.com
Sat Nov 27 09:36:48 CET 2010

On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 12:51 AM, Jonathan Nadeau <j.nadeau at charter.net> wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I'm a blind linux user that uses the orca screen reader. I was wondering
> would it be possible to get orca in order to work on xfce? I know with
> some modifacation some people have been able to get orca working on
> xfce. Has anyone looked into this? It would be great if something could
> be done about this because xfce would be great for a blind person to use
> due to the light weight features of xfce. It is great that gnome is
> accessible but as a blind person I don't even need 75% of what gnome
> offers. I think xfce would be a great addition to the blind community if
> it were accessible. Please let me know if this would be a possibility
> and I'm willing to do any testing that would be nessasary for this to be
> done. Thanks for your time and help.

To enable this in the toolkit you can do 2 things:
1) Create a .gtkrc-2.0 file in your home-directory and add the line:
gtk-modules="gail:atk-bridge"
2) Export a environment variable GTK_MODULES=gail:atk-bridge (or put
it in bash config)

If you did this, restart the X server and gtk should send all its
information through Orca.

Nick