Remove randr 1.1 support in xfce4-display-settings?

Mike Massonnet mmassonnet at gmail.com
Sun Jul 4 12:03:39 CEST 2010

Le 4 juillet 2010 11:48, Jérôme Guelfucci <jeromeg at xfce.org> a écrit :
> Hey guys,
>
> As you may know, Lionel as been doing an awesome job on
> xfce4-display-settings, bringing randr 1.2 goodness. The code already has a
> high number of ifdefs all over the place to handle the randr 1.1 mess...
>
> I'm currently working on a graphical view of the monitors' layout which will
> allow to view/modify the layout in an easy way. Handling randr 1.1 would add
> even more ifdef mess.
>
> I propose that we drop the randr 1.1 only support from our display stack. It
> brings very little benefits as (afaik) it is only useful for proprietary
> drivers which also offer their own graphical tool to handle displays AND it
> is a real maintenance burden and slows development (testing all scenarios is
> really annoying).
>
> Is anyone opposed to this?

Quickly said, when I saw a bunch of diffs I was really shocked that
they contain so many #ifdefs, and not to mention that it is a real
pain to see that "features" from 1.2 are not possible with 1.1, so I
really don't believe this to be at anytime an easy to maintain code.
This just being me, I would rip them off. If people really care about
having a 1.1 fallback, maybe keep a dummy display dialog for it but in
a separate file (keep the current from 4.6 as fallback, and install it
only if asked e.g. at build time --with-randr-11).

--
Mike