Polkit as an optional dependency of xfce4-session

Ali Abdallah aliov at xfce.org
Fri Jan 29 17:19:04 CET 2010

On 01/29/2010 10:00 AM, Nick Schermer wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 9:35 PM, Ali Abdallah<aliov at xfce.org>  wrote:
>
>> But anyway, in the good part, i should be able to branch from master (thanks
>> jeromeg) and push the code by tomorrow, i need to do more testing, also for
>> people without upower, consolekit, HAL, they can just use the configure
>> switches to switch them off, so the session will not even try to see if HAL,
>> consolekit, upower are running and just be using sudo saving some
>> milliseconds :)
>>
> I doubt this is a good idea. Although various distros are dropping
> hal, it's still used and most of the time working too. So I'd say we
> use the dbus apis directly until the whole consolekit/upower thing is
> settled and implement fallbacks in the code, because the user does not
> care which system shuts down his system, but that it works... So try
> to avoid configure options for now until everybody uses polkit or
> whatever other attempts are made.

The idea of configure switches was just for people that can't install
consolekit, upower, HAL on their system at all, on BSD?, and after all
these configure switches will be enabled by default, up to the
packagers/users to turn them off, just so they have the possibility of
doing so.

I'm going to use D-Bus calls for authentication checking.

> Nick

Cheers,
Ali.