a bit of a break

Jean-François Wauthy pollux at xfce.org
Mon Jan 25 22:25:57 CET 2010

Le lundi 25 janvier 2010 à 04:55 -0800, Brian J. Tarricone a écrit :

> Hi all,
>
> I've been somewhat resisting writing this email, but I suppose it's
> about time.
>
> As some of you have undoubtedly noticed, I haven't been around much in
> the past few months.  Probably the main cause of this has been a new
> startup job that has taken up much of my time.  I never dreamed I'd be
> one of those people who works 12-14 hours per day and actually *likes*
> it but, well, I guess things change.  The time left over has been spent
> doing things unrelated to programming.
>
> I'm not really sure where this leaves my involvement with Xfce.  I don't
> intend to disappear, but I just don't have time for it right now.  The
> earliest I'd expect to have time to work on Xfce in any nontrivial
> capacity would be July or August.  And even then, I'm not sure what's
> going to be on my plate or where my priorities will be.
>
> This mail is more about setting expectations than anything else.  I'll
> still be around, and I'll still be skimming the lists (and occasionally
> responding to things), but I wouldn't expect any (new or bug-fix) code
> out of me at least until the summer or fall.  Same goes for patch review.
>
> As much as I would love to be selfish and try to "put a hold" on my
> Xfce-related stuff, that's not particularly fair.  I'd suggest you guys
> look for people to work on xfdesktop and xfce4-session, perhaps even to
> act as new maintainers.  Xfconf should hopefully not require too much
> work; regardless, I do have some long-term plans for it, so I'd
> appreciate at least a quick note if people intend to check in any
> nontrivial changes.  (Of course, by the time I get back to Xfconf, it's
> possible dconf/GSettings will have taken over the world ^_~.)
>
> I do have a few local branches for xfdesktop and xfce4-session that
> represent my thoughts on some future direction.  I'd be happy to push
> them to git.xfce.org if people think they might be useful as starting
> points for someone else to pick up.
>
> I ask that any other git repositories for which I'm listed as owner
> (that is, anything non-core) be left alone.  I'll get back to them
> eventually.
>
> Anyhow... it's been a fun 6-year ride, and while I hope to hop back on
> the train again at some point, I think I should acknowledge at this
> point that I'm not going to be particularly active, so you guys can
> better decide what 4.8 is going to look like.
>
> Best of luck,
> Brian

Hey Brian,

Wow 6 years already, I think I arrived around the same time as you in
the project (when Jasper was looking for a new maintainer for xfdesktop
and you stepped up) and it has always been nice and fun talking with on
IRC (especially when you were still living on the east coast and were
always connected even during European daytime).

Have fun in your future endeavors and see you around on IRC or Jabber.

FYI, Kakai sounds like a local slang word meaning "a cheap and easily
breakable object" (in case some day you want to sell your products over
here :þ)

Cheers
--
Jean-François Wauthy <pollux at xfce.org>