a bit of a break

Jérôme Guelfucci jeromeg at xfce.org
Mon Jan 25 18:30:17 CET 2010

On 25/01/10 13:55, Brian J. Tarricone wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've been somewhat resisting writing this email, but I suppose it's
> about time.
>
> As some of you have undoubtedly noticed, I haven't been around much in
> the past few months.  Probably the main cause of this has been a new
> startup job that has taken up much of my time.  I never dreamed I'd be
> one of those people who works 12-14 hours per day and actually *likes*
> it but, well, I guess things change.  The time left over has been spent
> doing things unrelated to programming.
>
> I'm not really sure where this leaves my involvement with Xfce.  I don't
> intend to disappear, but I just don't have time for it right now.  The
> earliest I'd expect to have time to work on Xfce in any nontrivial
> capacity would be July or August.  And even then, I'm not sure what's
> going to be on my plate or where my priorities will be.
>
> This mail is more about setting expectations than anything else.  I'll
> still be around, and I'll still be skimming the lists (and occasionally
> responding to things), but I wouldn't expect any (new or bug-fix) code
> out of me at least until the summer or fall.  Same goes for patch review.
>
> As much as I would love to be selfish and try to "put a hold" on my
> Xfce-related stuff, that's not particularly fair.  I'd suggest you guys
> look for people to work on xfdesktop and xfce4-session, perhaps even to
> act as new maintainers.  Xfconf should hopefully not require too much
> work; regardless, I do have some long-term plans for it, so I'd
> appreciate at least a quick note if people intend to check in any
> nontrivial changes.  (Of course, by the time I get back to Xfconf, it's
> possible dconf/GSettings will have taken over the world ^_~.)
>
> I do have a few local branches for xfdesktop and xfce4-session that
> represent my thoughts on some future direction.  I'd be happy to push
> them to git.xfce.org if people think they might be useful as starting
> points for someone else to pick up.
>
> I ask that any other git repositories for which I'm listed as owner
> (that is, anything non-core) be left alone.  I'll get back to them
> eventually.
>
> Anyhow... it's been a fun 6-year ride, and while I hope to hop back on
> the train again at some point, I think I should acknowledge at this
> point that I'm not going to be particularly active, so you guys can
> better decide what 4.8 is going to look like.
>
> Best of luck,
> Brian

Hey Brian,

We will miss you and your mom jokes! I wish you good luck in your new
job and I hope to see you back soon!

I guess I can take care of some parts of xfce4-session, I already start
to port it to libxfce4ui/gtkbuilder and identified a few bugs I think I
can fix. I would appreciate if someone with more knowledge of session
stuff could give a hand though, it would be great to bring some fresh
blood with technical knowledge.

Cheers,

Jérôme