UI changes in xfce4-settings-editor?

Jérôme Guelfucci jeromeg at xfce.org
Sat Jan 9 11:15:09 CET 2010

Nick Schermer wrote:
> First of all, the xfcetitleddialog is imho something for... dialogs.
> So why not create a normal window? That said, if you have a normal
> window, you could add a menubar (?).

I think a menu bar would be a bit too much for our use case. We would
put there the same items as in the current "toolbar" and it would be
harder to access them.

Re the XfceTitledDialog, I think it looks nice as is but I'm ready to
use a normal window if people think it's appropriate.

> 1 buttons that is capable of doing 2 different things is not a good
> idea. You could also implement right-click menus (on empty space for
> add, on selection for remove), but because they are both list/tree
> views, the add options won't works when there is no empty space.

Agreed, I was planning to add a right click menu anyway.

> Also about adding channels, IIRC xfconf does not store a channel is
> there are no properties, so maybe you could notify about that (delete
> all properties or add an empty channel: if there are no properties in
> the channel, it won't be saved).

Yeah, I noticed this a little while after mailing here. After all, it
might not be such a good idea to add this feature (create new channels).
The only use case I can see is having custom channels to be used with
xfconf-query in user scripts, but xfconf-query can also be used to
create the channels/properties in that case.

Thus, it may be enough to implement remove/reset as a right-click menu.
What do you guys think about this ?

Jérôme