Broken link to xfce4-mailwatch-plugin

Liviu Andronic landronimirc at gmail.com
Mon Dec 13 19:11:32 CET 2010

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 6:09 PM, Grant Edwards
<grant.b.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:
> There's no reason it couldn't be a panel plugin or have a systray
> icon.  It's just that the author (me), keeps all his panels normally
> hidden, so would have no use for those features.  I'd be happy to
> accept patches (as long as they didn't interfere with its use as a
> "plain old X11" app).

I see. I must have misunderstood one of your previous e-mails.

> From what I could gather from correspondance with the author of the
> xfce4-mailwatch-plugin, making it a panel plugin would take a fair bit
> of work -- handling persistent storage and task state issues are
> diffult with plugins.
>
> I'm also not sure how easy it would be to keep it useful as a plain
> X11 app while turning it into a panel plugin.
>
> That said, it's only about 250 lines of code in total, and the part
> that actually does the mail-checking is only a couple dozen lines.
> Transplanting that bit into a panel plugin should be trivial enough
> for somebody who knows how to write a panel plug in (I don't know
> how).
>
>> It's a bit unreliable on network reconnect (to solve, restart
>> imapnotify),
>
> It always seems to reconnect fine for me.  Does it just sit there
> forever in the "yellow button" state after your network connection
> comes back?

The behaviour is random. I have four dirs set-up, and there are two
distinct issues:
- when the internet connection goes down (hence the IMAP link
terminates, I presume), the colour does not turn from black to yellow;
basically, the app reports that the link is still alive (but it isn't,
because the network is down). I guess that the label eventually turns
yellow when the default 'polltime' kicks in, but it's strange to have
it report an active link when none is present
- when the internet connection is restored it's not always clear which
dirs fancy an active link and which don't. Some stay black because
there was no attempt to reconnect yet (see issue above) and can do so
until the default 'polltime' kicks in. Others turn yellow and stay so
for a long time, presumably because re-establishing the link fails.
Others still turn yellow then black, as expected, since an active link
was achieved. At this point one cannot distinguish between black (no
attempt to reconnect) and black (active link). To sum up, after a
network reconnect (for example, suspend/resume) I do not trust the
notifications displayed and usually simply restart the app.

Please let me know if logs could help. Regards
Liviu