Broken link to xfce4-mailwatch-plugin

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards at gmail.com
Mon Dec 13 18:09:28 CET 2010

On 2010-12-13, Liviu Andronic <landronimirc at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 3:10 PM, Rob <spamrefuse at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> PS: currently the xfce4-mailwatch-plugin is in a very bad shape. It crashes
>> randomly several times a day, taking its configuration with it. Is there an
>> alternative to this mailwatch-plugin, which I can use in the XFCE panel?
>>
> This came up on the list not so long ago. Personally I've dropped
> mailwatch and settled for imapnotify [1]. Unfortunately it's not (and
> apparently cannot be) a panel plug-in, and it features no systray
> icon.

There's no reason it couldn't be a panel plugin or have a systray
icon.  It's just that the author (me), keeps all his panels normally
hidden, so would have no use for those features.  I'd be happy to
accept patches (as long as they didn't interfere with its use as a
"plain old X11" app).

>From what I could gather from correspondance with the author of the
xfce4-mailwatch-plugin, making it a panel plugin would take a fair bit
of work -- handling persistent storage and task state issues are
diffult with plugins.

I'm also not sure how easy it would be to keep it useful as a plain
X11 app while turning it into a panel plugin.

That said, it's only about 250 lines of code in total, and the part
that actually does the mail-checking is only a couple dozen lines.
Transplanting that bit into a panel plugin should be trivial enough
for somebody who knows how to write a panel plug in (I don't know
how).

> It's a bit unreliable on network reconnect (to solve, restart
> imapnotify),

It always seems to reconnect fine for me.  Does it just sit there
forever in the "yellow button" state after your network connection
comes back?

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! I'm GLAD I
                                  at               remembered to XEROX all