installing stable and unstable Xfce on one system?

Liviu Andronic landronimirc at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 16:21:06 CET 2010

Dear all
I'm using Xubuntu 10.04 with Xfce 4.6.1 and I'm dying to try out  4.7,
however this is my production machine on which I particularly value
non-breaking updates. Is it possible to have both the stable and
unstable versions of Xfce installed on the same system? For example,
it is possible to install LyX [1] from SVN, along with the official
(stable) .deb package, simply by issuing
./configure --with-version-suffix=-svn --enable-build-type=release

This configures SVN LyX to use 'lyx-svn' instead of 'lyx' for the
binary, '.lyx-svn' for the home profile folder, 'lyx-svn' for
/usr/local/share/, etc. Is there anything similar that would
allow---without unnecessary complications---installing 4.7 along with
an existing 4.6.1, and selecting the desired session from the display
manager?

Thank you
Liviu

[1] http://www.lyx.org/