Xfce task manager prototype

Landry Breuil landry.breuil at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 15:37:59 CEST 2010

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 3:05 PM, Mike Massonnet <mmassonnet at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi gentlemen,
>
> http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/3360/xfcetaskmgrprototype.png
>
> That's my so called window prototype, if you have suggestions to make they
> are welcome.
>
> Regarding the current git tree, I'll create a 0.4 branch from master (I will
> include gaston's patch for OpenBSD and make a release of it) and commit on
> top of master the changes to introduce a 0.5 version. What I intend to do on
> this version is the following:
>
> link to libwnck and check if the PIDs have a running window to get the
> “desktop” applications out of the crowd; with this lib it will be possible
> to reuse the application icon/name and to introduce new actions like “Bring
> to front”, “Minimize/Maximize”, etc;
> a new user action “Execute” to run new tasks; everything from the old
> “Preferences” dialogue will appear in the “Information” tool item;
> customized monitors with Cairo (guess I'll have a look at the cpugraph
> monitors before heading on code from scratch;)
> the status bar will show the number of processes and the current CPU and
> memory usages;
>
> Something else has made noise more than once, the possibility to share code
> between the panel plugins. Currently we have a system monitor, a netload
> plugin, and a cpugraph (if I'm not mistaken.) Do you have a call on this?

A common library for that would be nice, and libgtop is far from
working fine on !linux. Its code is not really understandable, and the
doc is nothing more than the autogenerated one.
Isn't it possible to merge all those in a single package, with a
common lib/api for xfce4-taskmanager and the
'put-all-monitors-together'-panel-plugin ?
Iirc frivoal talked about that once he'd had finished what he planned
for cpugraph. Currently systemload, netload and wavelan plugins don't
see any development as they are more or less feature complete, but
they each have their own os-dependent code. All that should really be
in a single panel plugin, or at least separate plugins but sharing a
common lib to access system values.

Landry