Removing "Save session" from logout menu

Pasi Lallinaho open at knome.fi
Thu Apr 22 14:52:32 CEST 2010

Mike Massonnet wrote:
> Hi,
>
> First, please avoid HTML when possible (or use HTML+text at least),
> when responding in “text only” here it doesn't catch the right
> citation depths which makes it unbearable to know who wrote what.
My Thunderbird is set to be using both text and HTML, please contact me
again if the problem persists. I see the citations look different than
usual in this mail, I hope that doesn't occur often...

> 2010/4/22 Pasi Lallinaho <open at knome.fi <mailto:open at knome.fi>>
>
>     Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
>>     On 04/21/2010 08:49 AM, Pasi Lallinaho wrote:
>>
>>>     Hello all Xfce developers and enthusiastics!
>>>
>>>     I'm sending this mail referring to the bug I just filed [1] and the
>>>     conversation with Jerome some days ago at #xfce-dev. The bug description
>>>     pretty much describes what I'd like and why. I also heard/remember this
>>>     has been discussed earlier.
>>>
>>>     What do you think of dropping the option?
>>>
>>     Bad idea.  That defeats one of the rather important purposes of the
>>     session manager: saving the session.  I'm assuming you mean we should
>>     disable the session-saving features entirely?  (Otherwise that doesn't
>>     fix this "problem" you're trying to solve.)
>>
>     No, I'm proposing we should drop the option from the logout menu,
>     not completely from Xfce (eg. it could be available in the Session
>     settings dialog).
>>     The problem is with the panel.  Fix the panel.  The session manager will
>>     even restart the panel if it crashes!
>>
>     I've also proposed a way to debug the panel, and if we can get to
>     the source of those panel crashes, that would be great. Then there
>     would not be that much reason to remove (read/think: hide) the
>     option from logout menu.
>

> To be all fair, I never use this option (the checkbox in the logout
> dialog). Either it's on or off, and everytime I log in Xfce for the
> very first time, I always uncheck it (it is checked by default). I
> believe it wouldn't harm but look decent to keep it in the session
> settings dialog only :-p Nick already proposed to make it optional
> through a hidden setting, I guess that will work for most people.
Yes, that's of course a solution for this for now, but still a hack as
already said.

I'm willing to do work to find out the reasons the panel originally
crashes as well, so we can get that fixed for good.

> --
> Mike

Cheers again,

--