Status of Xfce 4.8

Nick Schermer nickschermer at gmail.com
Sat Apr 10 12:54:04 CEST 2010

On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 12:16 AM, Jannis Pohlmann <jannis at xfce.org> wrote:
>  - exo
>  - libxfce4ui
>  - libxfce4util
>  - xfce-utils

I consider those ready for 4.8, there are no outstanding bugs and
(appart from xfce-utils) there have been enough pre-releases for
testing on other systems, only minor or translation commits are
pending in git.

>  - xfce4-panel

Getting in a decent shape (definitely better then 4.6), still lacks
automatic grouping and there are some issues with the systray and
remote plugins under some window managers. All solvable in time before
the 4.8 release.

>  - xfce4-settings

I hoped I could work on the mouse and display settings for 4.8, but I
think that needs to be post-phoned for 4.10.

>  - xfconf

Ready for release, no bugs that need fixing in bugzilla.

>  - garcon

I'm a busy with work right now, but when that calms down a bit I might
have some time to continue to monitoring work of Jannis and implement
this in both the xfce4-panel menu as well as xfce4-appfinder.

It think (as discussed on IRC) we should still consider a release of
Xfce 4.8 with the 'old' 4.6 Thunar. That worked fine for a lot of
people and we only need to make it suitable for exo-1. This way we
don't delay the releases of the other core components and we release
model allows to do a 1.2 thunar release somewhere between 4.8 and 4.10
(ie. when it is ready).

Nick