xfce4-docs update

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Tue Sep 22 16:55:53 CEST 2009

Hey all,

I've started setting up the xfce4-docs repository. It acts as some kind
of meta-repository that is not supposed to be installed (other than on
the machine of documentation people). We can include it in the
repositories of individual components as a git submodule.

In order to build the docs for a certain component, we'll most likely
have to:

  1. Check for python, sphinx-build and the xfce.sphinx.crossref python
     module in configure.
  2. Export an environment variable XFCE4_DOCS_PROJECT containing the
     name of the component to use, in configure or autogen.sh.
  3. Add AC_CONFIG_SUDBDIRS([docs]) to each component's
     configure.{ac,in.in} to enable recursive configure.

It think it would be a good idea to wrap 1. and 2. in an xfce4-dev-tools
macro called XDT_DOCS(PROJECT_NAME) or XDT_FEATURE_DOCS(PROJECT_NAME).
Any objections?

I wonder where to put the xfce.sphinx.crossref python module though.
It's a module I wrote for sphinx/reStructuredText which makes it
possible to add links between independent component docs. The python
module takes the installation prefix of the build into account. If
someone wants to add a link from the thunar docs to the index page of
thunar-thumbnailers, he could simply do so like this (in reST):

  :xfce:`thunar-thumbnailers:index`

A link to a different page would look like this:

  :xfce:`thunar-media-tags:howto/bulk-rename`

As I said, I'm not sure where to put it. We can either package it on its
own and upload it to http://pypi.python.org/ and simply make all
components with docs depend on it, or add it to something all other
components depend on anyway (which will be hard as xfce4-docs isn't
necessarily limited to core components). So I'm leaning towards the
first option. Ideas, opinions?

  - Jannis