Xfconf signal bindings branch

Brian J. Tarricone brian at tarricone.org
Tue Sep 15 05:33:29 CEST 2009

On 09/13/2009 01:03 PM, Nick Schermer wrote:
> 2009/9/13 Brian J. Tarricone <brian at tarricone.org>:
>
>> Oh, please don't merge master into your branch; I prefer rebasing so
>> history stays linear and it's easier to merge the branch to master
>> later.  Rewriting history is fine for a temporary branch.
>
> Yeah well, what can I say... Probably has something to do with a
> combination of lazy and not-sure-what-is-going-to-happen.

Yeah, git's user interface and docs aren't really great in this regard,
and the git-pull manpage gives what I consider to be an incorrect
warning about "git pull --rebase".

But anyway, I take this back.  If you let your branch get a few commits
behind master and then rebase, and then push the changes, you get a
bunch of weird commit mails to the list making it look like all those
commits were made to your branch (which is strictly true, but it's
annoying and a waste of email).  Probably better to either never rebase
temp branches with master, and then sanely merge with master later and
push that, or to just do merge commits (like you did) to cut down on
mail traffic.  As long as the merge commits aren't re-merged back onto
master when the feature is done, that's fine.

	-b