xfconf optimisation

Brian J. Tarricone brian at tarricone.org
Fri May 15 06:08:36 CEST 2009

Hey all,

I made a change to xfconf trunk so that when an xfconf/gobject property
binding is created, it fetches the initial value of the property
asynchronously.  While this doesn't reduce round-trips to the daemon (I
have some other ideas for that which I'll work on later), it does allow
apps to continue with their startup tasks while the properties are being
fetched.

Now, there may be some unintended consequences, like apps initialising
settings using default values, and then suddenly switching to the
correct values after a (very) short time.

So... please test, especially on both really slow and really fast
hardware.  If anything looks weird, I'll revert.  If it looks ok, I'll
commit it to the 4.6 branch (it's only on trunk now).

	-brian