problem upgrading 4.4 to 4.6

jw jwdevel at gmail.com
Sat May 2 01:30:43 CEST 2009

Hello,
(Please let me know if there is a better mailing list for this issue...)

I recently upgraded, via FreeBSD ports, my xfce installation.

I can get to the desktop, and according to /usr/ports/UPDATING, I need
to change my theme to 'Tango' to get certain icons back.
This is where the trouble starts - I cannot launch the settings manager.

    # xfce-setting-show
    /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libicui18n.so.36" not found,
required by "xfce-setting-show"

I have the file /usr/local/lib/libicui18n.so.38, but no ".36" version

All my ports are up-to-date.
pkg_which says that file belongs to icu-3.8.1_2.

I have some more research to do, but does anyone know what might be
causing this?

Looking around, I found this thread:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2006-November/136759.html
It seems vaguely similar, but didn't help solve my problem.

Thanks
-John