xfce4-power-manager and battery settings

Yves-Alexis Perez corsac at debian.org
Fri Mar 20 10:12:50 CET 2009

On ven, 2009-03-20 at 09:08 +0100, Liviu Andronic wrote:
> Perhaps the "any" I employed wasn't accurate.
> Yesterday I had to suspend my laptop (on battery) and to reopen it
> about half an hour later. The battery percentage hasn't moved one
> unit, so I assumed that Suspend consumes much less energy than a
> running system. It felt to me a good option to extend battery life,
> and also to get a good notification.

Depending on what's enabled when suspending (think wake-on-lan and stuff
like that) it can be like 1 or 2W. So if you only have few mWh on the
bat (like “critical”) then you'll be doomed.

Note that, anyway, it requires some power to do the shutdown, and even
more power to hibernate. So anyway it's a good idea not to set critical
too low :)

Yves-Alexis