serious problem with your way of dealing with my personal right on informational self-determination

Christian Dywan christian at twotoasts.de
Sun Jun 7 00:20:56 CEST 2009

Am Sat, 06 Jun 2009 13:22:19 -0700
schrieb Auke Kok <auke at foo-projects.org>:

> Dennis Heuer wrote:
> > hello
>
> Everyone please BE INFORMED that when you contribute to open source
> projects such as Xfce, you WAIVE ALL RIGHTS to anything that you
> post, send or otherwise give to the community. (Unless you
> specifically post with a copyright attached to your postings, in
> which case we will not be able to use that information).
>
> That means that you do not even own your own bugzilla account. That
> account and all related posts are part of the Xfce project.
>
> If you're afraid of where your information is going after you leave
> the Xfce project, then do not post bugreports or mailing list
> messages at all.

I'm not sure if this is supposed to be a weird sense of humor. Just in
case somone takes this too seriously:

You don't literally lose your rights of course. That's why there are
licenses and laws. But these subjects are not trivial, so you can't go
and demand easily "according to law" either. This is neither nice nor
useful without a good context of where you live - there is no "online"
law.

Incidentally I notice that Bugzilla doesn't provide any usage agreement
or a similar note before registering. It might be a good idea to check
that, since the note about sharing information is a little curt.

Cheers,
    Christian