panel and xfconf

Bo Lorentsen bl at lue.dk
Mon Jul 27 14:31:29 CEST 2009

Mike Massonnet wrote:
> The rc like functions are exposed to panel plugins, and there is good
> reason to not drop these functions because many plugins use them and
> will continue to use them probably. The internal configuration of the
> panel uses Xfconf already, if panel plugin writters wish to use Xfconf
> to store settings they can, and for that they will have to include and
> depend on libxfconf.
Ok, thanks ... that makes sense. So the rc files remain an relevant
method for storing panel config in all future, and will not event become
deprecated ?
> The new panel 4.8 offers two functions for plugin
> writers to ease the access on a default xfconf channel:
> xfce_panel_plugin_xfconf_channel_new() and
> xfce_panel_plugin_get_property_base().

Ok, this is what I was missing :-) But this will again make the future
plugins depending on the xfconf, just indirectly (not that is matter
much, as the panel already are) ?

When will the 4.8 API show up in svn ?

/BL