Release manager feeds

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Fri Jul 24 19:17:53 CEST 2009

On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 09:13:23 -0600
David Mohr <squisher at xfce.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 5:51 AM, Jannis Pohlmann<jannis at xfce.org>
> wrote:
> >> - Don't provide a link to the directory, rather to the newly
> >> released file directly
> >
> > I didn't want to break the 72 columns per line rule, so I've split
> > the URLs up into filename and download directory. No strong
> > feelings about this one.
>
> URLs are often longer than 72 columns, and since we won't have any
> spaces in them, they should work fine most of the time as far as I
> know.

True and done, see my other mail.

> >> - I'm still waiting for the email announcement, but that might as
> >> well be the mail servers...
> >
> > The release manager uses the address david at mcbf.net for sending
> > announcements. If you're not subscribed to lists with this address
> > it won't work. Do you want me to change the address? (Guess I'll
> > have to provide a way to let people edit that ...)
>
> Ah, yes, please. I extra subscribed to all the mailing lists with my
> xfce account to get announcements to work with the goodies release
> manager ;-).

The release form now reminds you to update the project and account
information before doing releases:

  http://lunar-linux.org/~jannis/screenshots/xfce/moka/moka-20090724-1.png

Clicking on email address on the above page will take you to

  http://lunar-linux.org/~jannis/screenshots/xfce/moka/moka-20090724-2.png

where you can change the address. Hope that's clear enough for everyone.

> > identi.ca/xfce doesn't have your release either ... doh.
>
> That's to be expected, I didn't hit the checkbox. I wasn't sure if
> goodies should get announced there as well. If so, I'd vote to enable
> it by default (which it isn't right now).

Yes, please *always* push news out to identi.ca. At least for
notifying users, microblogging is almost as important as mailing lists
nowadays.