Release manager feeds

Brian J. Tarricone brian at tarricone.org
Fri Jul 24 11:32:56 CEST 2009

On 07/23/2009 11:16 PM, David Mohr wrote:

> So in particular:
> - The user submitted message should go first, not the checksums

Agreed.

> - Mirrors should not be listed individually, as they are at
> announcement time most likely not in sync yet.

Yes... unless the release manager is able to do mini-syncs, which would
be cool, but I'm not sure how to implement that securely.

> IMHO people should
> always use the www round robin (or whatever it is).

Well, the problem is that the www round robin only hits be (mocha),
ca-us, and tx-us, since they're the only *reliable* full website mirrors
we have.  The others are either archive-only or aren't updated as
frequently.  (And at release time, ca-us and tx-us likely don't have the
file anyway).

Ideally, we'd have a php script on the main server that 'knows' which
mirrors have which files and distributes load evenly, but that might be
difficult do to well.

So really, the only server certain to have the files within 6 hours of
release time is mocha.xfce.org.  (Personally I'd be happy to sync ca-us
every hour or so; rsync should be pretty light on bandwidth when there
isn't much or anything to transfer, but that's another discussion.)

As much as I hate to suggest it, we probably should only include mocha
in the initial announcement.  Maybe Auke can set up a 'main.xfce.org' or
'archive.xfce.org' alias for mocha as well so we aren't using the
machine's internal hostname in public announcements.

> - Don't provide a link to the directory, rather to the newly released
> file directly

Yes, there's really no reason to link to the directory.  After we
support gpg signatures, we should provide a direct link to the .asc file
as well as a direct link to the download.

> - I'm still waiting for the email announcement, but that might as well
> be the mail servers...

I haven't gotten it either... where do these announcements go?

	-brian