Release manager webapp and archive reorganization

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Sat Jul 18 12:06:47 CEST 2009

On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 11:52:26 +0200
Nick Schermer <nickschermer at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2009/7/18 Jannis Pohlmann <jannis at xfce.org>:
> > There are possibly more components to be put into 'libs', like
> > tumbler (which is a D-Bus service but also ships an extension
> > library). 'libs' essentially means 'libraries that are used by but
> > explicitely not limited to Xfce'. By moving them out of the Xfce
> > core we encourage others to use these libraries. There's not much
> > to argue about this, and at least as I'm concerned, 'libs' is going
> > to stay ;)
>
> Is /libs not for libraries that are not required by the core modules
> (ghal for example)? Everything that is needed to make the core
> components work property (in /xfce) should be in that directory IMHO.
> That also makes it obvious that everything that is considered as
> 'core' is in 1 release folder, bugzilla classification and git dir.

No. I mean, yes, ghal will go into /libs. But /libs is also for other
libraries that we don't consider part of the core. And I would like
to see tumbler and garcon as independent of the rest of Xfce. /xfce is
for the core components, which may or may not depend on other libraries
(from outside (like GTK+) or from /libs). That's how I imagined it.

(Using the terminology of the release model document, garcon and
tumbler would be 'essential dependencies', not 'core components' and
thus, can live in /libs just fine.)

  - Jannis