Release manager webapp and archive reorganization

Christian Dywan christian at twotoasts.de
Sat Jul 18 03:51:18 CEST 2009

Am Fri, 17 Jul 2009 20:14:20 +0200
schrieb Jannis Pohlmann <jannis at xfce.org>:

> Hey all,
>
> we've discussed a possible archive reorganization before. I'd like to
> get back to this in a second.
>
> Moka
> ====
>
> First of all, I have a new project to announce: Moka (name originating
> from stove top espresso makers), a new release manager web
> application.
>
> Moka is written in Ruby, using technologies like Sinatra, Rack, Sass
> and JSON. It provides a powerful web interface for managing releases.
> Here are some of the key features:
>
> Project releases:
>   With Moka, you can perform releases of projects like xfce4-panel,
>   Thunar, xfce4-screenshooter or xfce4-notes-plugin simply by
> uploading a tarball together with a checksum and a release
> announcement. Moka will optionally announce the release on a variable
> set of mailinglists and on identi.ca/xfce, the official Xfce account I
>   recently created. Another planned feature are public RSS feeds.
>
> Project classifications:
>   Projects can be classified. E.g. Thunar is classified as 'xfce',
>   Terminal is classified as 'apps', xfce4-notes-plugin is classified
> as 'panel-plugins'. This is helpful to improve the download archive
>   layout and to sync it with the git and bugzilla layouts. Projects
> can be moved between classifications with two or three clicks.
>
> Collection releases:
>   Let's say we want to release Xfce 4.6.2. With Moka, all you have to
>   do is click a button and select the project versions you want to
>   include from a list featuring all available projects. As with
>   projects, you'll be able to send announcements to mailing lists
>   identi.ca/xfce and update RSS feeds. Moka will create the necessary
>   folders and links for the included project versions inside the
>   download archive.
>
> [...]

Hey,

looks totally nice. Is it planned to use the buildbot?

I figure, if we have automated builds, having tarballs generated
automatically would pretty much reduce the release to bumping the
version in the repository, writing an announcement and sending it off
in the release manager.
And it would reduce the risk of any mistake, such as accidentally
uploading the wrong tarball - I managed to do that once.

I see releases as a tedious, boring part of development, and I really
appreciate your efforts to reduce the manual work to the minimum.

Cheers,
    Christian