Release manager webapp and archive reorganization

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Sat Jul 18 11:17:56 CEST 2009

On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 21:01:12 +0200
Mike Massonnet <mmassonnet at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> 2009/7/17 Jannis Pohlmann <jannis at xfce.org>:
> > Hey all,
> >
> [snip]
> > Archive reorganization
> > ======================
> >
> > With Moka being almost ready, I'd like to propose a new download
> > archive layout again. Moka is very flexible with regards to this,
> > but IMHO this would be the best layout decisions:
> >
> >  /xfce
> >    4.4.0/
> >      fat_tarballs/
> >      src/
> >      installers/
> >    4.6.0/
> >      fat_tarballs/
> >      src/
> >      installers/
> >    4.6.1/
> >  /src
> >    xfce/
> >      exo/
> >        0.3/
> >          exo-0.3.100.tar.bz2
> >          exo-0.3.101.tar.bz2
> >        0.4/
> >          exo-0.4.0.tar.bz2
> >      xfwm4/
> >        4.6/
> >          xfwm4-4.6.0.tar.bz2
> >          xfwm4-4.6.1.tar.bz2
> >        4.7/
> >   apps/
> >     terminal/
> >        0.2/
> >        0.3/
> >    libs/
> >      garcon/
> >        0.1/
> >        0.2/
> >    panel-plugins/
> >      xfce4-notes-plugin/
> >        0.1/
> >
> > Any thoughts? If there are no objections, I'll reorganize the
> > archive this way as soon as Moka is ready for production use.
>
> A little dubious about the use of src/libs/. Garcon is, I believe, the
> only lib that is xfce-free, so yeah sure but maybe it can simply live
> inside src/xfce/ as it will be used by xfce applications in first
> place anyway. I didn't compare with bugzilla, however as Nick said
> both should simply be the same.

There are possibly more components to be put into 'libs', like tumbler
(which is a D-Bus service but also ships an extension library). 'libs'
essentially means 'libraries that are used by but explicitely not
limited to Xfce'. By moving them out of the Xfce core we encourage
others to use these libraries. There's not much to argue about this,
and at least as I'm concerned, 'libs' is going to stay ;)

  - Jannis