4.6.1 release process proposal

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Wed Jan 21 10:18:27 CET 2009

On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 14:32:15 +0530 Biju Chacko wrote:

> Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> > Biju Chacko wrote:
> >>
> >> That's true, my mistake. However, it does make a bigger difference
> >> if we  want to start releasing binaries -- tarballs, rpm or
> >> whatnot.
> >
> > I'm not sure that we do want to.  IMO distributing binaries on
> > Linux is a waste unless you're targeting specific versions of
> > specific distros. And for that, you usually need a machine running
> > that version of that distro.  For a large project with lots of
> > infra resources, that might make sense, but not really for us, I
> > don't think.
>
> As I said elsewhere, this only makes sense for trunk. IMO, the lower
> the barrier of entry for running trunk the better. More testing on
> trunk would be better.

I don't agree.  At the risk of sounding elitist, I'd rather not make
trunk *too* easy to install.  This just increases our support burden
and decreases the S/N ratio where bug reports are concerned.

> > That's a nice way of thinking about it, I suppose.  The problem
> > with processes that aren't executed often is that, as the
> > conditions around the process change, you can't be sure the process
> > will always work properly.
>
> You're saying what I'm saying much more clearly than I am. Thanks!

And I'm someone who generally hates process ^_~.

> >> A nice build script would be good start.
> >
> > Well, I have a build script.  Whether or not it's "nice" can be up
> > for discussion:
> > http://mocha.xfce.org/~kelnos/xfce4/xfce4-snapshots.pl.txt
> >
> >> And if someone could reset my password on mocha, that would help.
> >
> > Well, you actually don't have a shell account, just a https
> > account. Auke, can you promote botsie's https account to ssh?
>
> I'll get started on this as soon as I have access.

I believe Auke emailed us both about this, so you should have access
assuming your old ssh pubkey still works.  If not, let us know off-list
and we can figure something out.

	-brian