adding _NET_WM_FULLSCREEN_MONITORS hint to xfwm4

Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper vr at movingparts.net
Sat Jan 10 05:12:14 CET 2009

Hey everybody,

Almost a year ago, one of my VMware colleagues started a discussion on the
wp-apec list (http://snurl.com/4ha1f ) about adding a new hint to the EWMH
spec to allow windows to go fullscreen and span multiple heads. This was
eventually added to the spec as the _NET_WM_FULLSCREEN_MONITORS hint (
http://snurl.com/4h9xm).

This has now been added to Metacity, KWin, and Compiz, and I would very much
like to help get this implemented in xfwm4. I wanted to check first with the
xfwm4 developers, though and see if you guys had any thoughts or suggestions
that might help me get started. I haven't worked on xfwm4 code before, so
I'm coming from hunger. =:) Any help/guidelines would be greatly
appreciated. Oh, and I guess I should ask whether anyone has already done
any work on this hint yet so I'm not duplicating effort...

TIA! =:)
--
-[ Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper    //  http://movingparts.net ]-
-[ KDE PIM Developer         //  http://www.kde.org  ]-