Xfce 4.6 website update and release notes (tour)

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Mon Feb 23 19:21:10 CET 2009

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 15:22:09 +0100
Nick Schermer <nickschermer at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2009/2/23 Jérôme Guelfucci <jerome.guelfucci at gmail.com>:
> >
> >> Awesome,could you also w3 validate the pages to iron out some
> >> browser problems.
> >
> > Done, I fixed a bunch of issues, some are still remaining but I
> > don't really know how to fix them.
> >
> > Anyway, in the future we should update the website to remove tables
> > which are missused in a lot of places and improve our CSS. But
> > that's for later.
>
> Well if the page contents uses tables it's not a big deal, as long as
> the website layout uses divs (and thus there are no columns with links
> in a non-css layout) everything is fine.

I beg to disagree. There is no such thing as 'layout' in (X)HTML.
Ideally, there are no tables at all unless you want to present data
like in a spreadsheet. Not to mention that there should be as few divs
as possible. They're violated for layouts way too much. But yeah, I'm
being anal even though I don't care as much about this as I did a few
years ago when I was actively designing websites.

  - Jannis